Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Top Five


I like to think of myself as designer is every way. Designing is what I do if it’s designing a concept and idea or something physical. “A good designer will not mimic a trend, but use it to create something new. The best designers start trends.”
(Ch.5 pg122) When I come up with an idea I try to as original as I can.

 Developing ideas and concepts is my strongest skill. “Many people view branding as simply creating an identity for a company composed of a logo, a name and an identifiable style.”(Ch.1) Branding is so much more than that.

Being able to research f or your ideas and concepts is an important skill to have.  To understand what’s behind a brand, you need to take a look at its history, its maturity, its market positioning and its environment. (Pg 45 chapter 2)” When it comes to the research part of branding that’s what I enjoy the most.  In order to brand and concept ideas you need to do the research first. 

To persuade people is a skill you have to acquire to if you want to  be in the creative business.  You need to be able to sell ideas, yourself and your as the brand. This is where you need to make sure you are confident. You need to make your clients believe in you. “Behind the brand is careful business management controlling the way the brand expresses itself.” (More Than A Name: An Introduction to Branding Pg. 22)

Learning to be confident was not easy for because I was always shy.  Working in sale jobs where I have to work with guests and clients I had no choice but to come out of my shell and be confident or at least act it.  Consumers will not believe you if you don’t even believe in yourself. “With a product brand you can spend 75 per cent of your time, money and energy trying to influence customers and 25 per cent on everything else, while with a service brand you have to spend at least 50 per cent of your time and money influencing your own people. In order to get an effective service brand, people have to be taught to live the brand they work with”(ch.7 pg 193 Wally Olins, Wolff Olins) .  You can’t go anywhere without confidence as a skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment